Sunday, November 13, 2011

12-11-11: Cutting the holes for hatches

Today I cut the holes for the hatches. Its a scary feeling to start cutting into something you have spent a long time building.
First I made a template for the holes.


 After that i traced the template onto the kayak.



I used my fantastic japanese saw to cut the holes. It takes a bit of patience, but I feel more in control than if I used a jigsaw....




Done ! Two holes cut in the deck....

I used my skilsaw to cut a piece of birch plywood for the hatch flanges.

 Ooops... A good thing i had ajusted he saw not to cut too deep..... I only cut a minor goove in my    sawhorse. :-(

The hatch cover will be laying on a flange and a gasket. To lower the flange and make space for the gasket I put a spacer between the flange and the deck.


The spacer is now glued in place with epoxy.

The flange is now almost ready to be glued to the spacer. I gave the spacer a quick paint of black.

Tomorrow (hopefully) I will glues the flange in place.
To hold the hatches I will use under deck bungee cord...



No comments:

Post a Comment