Sunday, August 28, 2011

27-08-11: Fiberglassing the deck / The skeg..

Today I pulled myself together and prepared to fiberglass the deck. I have been doing all kind of other things but getting to it. Today I got to it...


Done - and its looking good.. I used only about 300 gr. of epoxy for the deck.


I have figured out how to save my skeg from the garbage bin. I have glued two pieces of 4 mm birch plywood on the sides of the skeg. In this way the upper part of the skeg has enough thickness to accommodate the knots of the string and the elastic string.
This skeg is designed to be reparable from the outside. E.i. I can replace the elastic string an the string from the outside.
The elastic dstring pulls the skeg down and the string pulls the skeg up.
I still need to fit some plastic tubing for the string.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant and simple skeg design.
    I am going to use this concept make a large forward skeg on my wood boat for kayak sailing.

    It looks like it will work, and be easy enough to service.

    I can not wait to give it a try.

    Patrick Forrester
    www.falconsails.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant and simple skeg design.
    I am going to use this concept make a large forward skeg on my wood boat for kayak sailing.

    It looks like it will work, and be easy enough to service.

    I can not wait to give it a try.

    Patrick Forrester
    www.falconsails.com

    ReplyDelete